An increasingly popular means of recognising, rewarding and publicising achievements, skills and knowledge.
Open badges are…
- “a new online standard to recognize and verify learning”- Mozilla Open Badges
- earned from multiple sources and collected in a single backpack
- stackable, allowing earners to build a rich digital identity
- displayed across social networking profiles, websites and more
- issued by many organisations in H.E. and industry
- full of information, linking back to the issuer, criteria and verifying evidence
Graphic: digital image (600 x 600 px)
Description: details what the badge is awarding
Criteria: defines what has to be evidence to earn the badge
Evidence: verifies how the earner has met the criteria to be awarded the badge
How can I use it?
- Build your students’ professional digital identity beyond Higher Education
- Help learners shape a full picture of their skills and achievements
- Reward extra-curricular learning and achievement
- Verify practical skills and informal learning
- Scaffold progressive learning and skills acquisition
- Complement existing assessments with extra-curricular badges
How could it benefit?
- Engage learners with extra-curricular opportunities for learning new skills
- Evidence of learning and achievement is carried with the Open Badge, unlike traditional accreditation systems
- Open Badges form a mosaic of an individual learner’s skills and interests
- Learners can curate which badges are displayed where across online profiles and websites to form a bespoke, agile online identity